Of course your faithful four-legged friend must come with you to Halmstad! There’s plenty of fun to be had with your four-legged friend. Visit one of our fantastic nature reserves, take a refreshing dip in the sea or a freshwater lake. Or enjoy excellent food and drink in one of our cozy cafés or restaurants.
Our Traveling with your Dog Guide provides you with many helpful suggestions for your visit! At the bottom of the webpage you will also find the places that are especially dog-friendly on a map.
Our walkable city
Halmstad is a walkable city, where most everything is within walking distance – ideal for exploring with your dog! You can take a walk along the Nissan River, wander through the cozy cobbled streets in the city centre, go on a historic city walk on your own or explore one of the city’s many beautiful parks.
If you want to go for a longer walk, there’s plenty to choose from. With 57 different nature reserves, there are hikes to suit all tastes, whether you prefer deep forest, vast marshes or miles of sea views. How about a seaside day hike along Prince Bertil’s Trail or a walk in the forest encircling beautiful Lake Torv in the Skedala Forest? Perfect short hikes where you can combine exercise with a refreshing dip in the sea or lake.
Overnight accommodations for you and your dog
Are you planning a trip to Halmstad and want to bring your four-legged friend along? No trouble at all! In Halmstad, there are several different overnight accommodations to choose from for those who bring their dogs. We have gathered together a list of dog-friendly accommodations in Halmstad on a separate webpage. Sleep well.
Dog-friendly cafés and restaurants
Halmstad has an exceptionally wide range of excellent restaurants and friendly cafés. Many of them welcome both you and your dog inside. During the summer season, there are also plenty of charming restaurants with open-air seating where your dog is most welcome. We have compiled a list of dog-friendly cafés and restaurants in Halmstad on a separate webpage.
Take a refreshing swim with your dog
Time for a refreshing plunge? Halmstad has numerous excellent seashore beaches and cozy little lakes in the woods. On a separate webpage, we have collected tips on swimming locations in Halmstad where both you and your dog are welcome.
Additional dog-friendly activities
Some tips on other activities in Halmstad where your dog will be welcome.
- Hallands Hundshop (swe) External link, opens in new window. – In addition to offering the best of dog products, the store also wants to share knowledge and inspiration with dog owners. The range is carefully selected. Sustainability and local production are in focus.
- The Open Air Museum Hallandsgården – at Hallandsgården on Galgberget – one finds the open-air museum of Halmstad; and dogs on a leash are always welcome to visit! Also check out the Ekoteket café (open summertime).
- HalmstadTravet (swe) External link, opens in new window. – both dogs and humans are welcome. However, when on the grounds dogs must be on a leash.
- Dog parks (swe) External link, opens in new window. – Halmstad has several super nice dog parks.
- Dog walking together (swe) External link, opens in new window. – join the Facebook group HundpromenadHalmstad (Dog Walking Halmstad). The group is for those who want to meet other dog owners and dogs.
- Wapnö Gård (swe) External link, opens in new window. – as long as you are outdoors it is permissible to have your dog with you. Also overnight accommodations where dogs are also welcome.
Public transportation and veterinary resources
Bus and train
When traveling with Hallandstrafiken, canines and other pets are welcome on-board at no extra charge, however must remain in the designated pet area. Be considerate to others and avoid inconvenience to other passengers. Dogs are also permitted on SJ trains (restricted to the designated dog-friendly carriage, reservation required). On Öresund trains, within Sweden dogs, cats and other pets can travel free of charge.
Guide dogs on public transportation
In certain situations different rules apply to guide dogs. Contact the transportation company to find out what applies in your particular case.
Medical care for dogs
If unfortunately your four-legged friend becomes ill during your visit, both Halland Animal Hospital (swe) External link, opens in new window. and Halmstad Veterinary Clinic (swe) External link, opens in new window. in Halmstad stand ready to assist.
Map with extra dog-friendly places in Halmstad
Information in the map is in Swedish. Click the icon in the top right corner of the map to open in Google Maps. To view and hide different layers, as well as to see all visitor destinations, click on the icon in the top left corner of the map.
Inspiration and guidesCan I bring my dog to Halmstad? No problem!…
Nature and the outdoor lifeAhh! The Halmstad air! Filled with the tangs…
Beach and coastShimmering sea and colorful sunsets are only…
Food and drinkFood and drink is not just food and drink.…
Culture and historyIn Halmstad we deliver both culture and history…
EventsTheatre? Concerts? Art exhibitions? Sport?…
Spa and wellnessTaking an invigorating dip in the sea, lacing…
ShoppingShopping is an experience in itself. Perhaps…
The Swedish capital of golf153 golf holes, eight unique resorts in a…
Good to knowWe have gathered together a few practical…
AccommodationWhere would you like to stay? In a castle…
Sports and activitiesDo you like being active? Raising your pulse,…