The castle was virtually complete in 1619 when Christian IV invited Gustav II Adolf to Halmstad. A party at the castle lasted for seven whole days. A memento of the meeting is Kungastenen (The Royal Stone), a stone relief by Edvin Öhrström, by the town hall at Stora Torg. The town was destroyed by fire the same year, so Christian IV took the opportunity to recreate Halmstad as a modern Renaissance town, with straight roads and regular-sized quarters. Along Storgatan, between the castle and Norre Port you can still see distinguished merchant houses, built after the fire.
Halmstad lost its importance as a border stronghold in 1645, when Halland became Swedish, and in the 18th century the garrison was withdrawn, the fortress pulled down and the moat filled in. The glory days of Halmstad were in the past. It wasn’t until the 20th century that the town developed outside the area of the old fortifications.
Old Halmstad AssociationThe association has published an annual every year since its formation in 1923. The association works to preserve, make available and spread information about the history of Halmstad.
Old Halmstad Association